Tips on dealing with a child’s lost social security card

You’ve been looking for your child’s social security card because you need it for a form you are filling out and you never took the time to memorize it. The bad news, you can’t find it. You have looked everywhere, well everywhere but where it is because. If you would have looked absolutely everywhere you would have it. The only thing left to do is go to the social security office and get a new one, right? Now you are wondering what will you need to take with you when you go. what documents will they ask for? Let’s take a look at and find out.

It looks like you are going to need to prove your child’s identity. Hopefully, you got your child a birth certificate when helshe was born. You will also have to prove your child is a citizen of the USA. Was your child born here? Don’t worry, if your child is an immigrant (legal immigrant) and you can prove it that will work too. Hurray, your child was born here. Less paperwork for you.

Ok, now that you have gathered all the documents for your child, you will need your documents. You have to prove your identity. A drivers license will work if you have one. If you don’t there are a lot of other documents they will accept. You will need to prove that you are either that child’s parent or legal guardian. If you are a parent but you are divorced do you have legal custody? You have to establish your relationship with the child. All that delightful stuff.

Now, you can download this form from the site which will make it more convenient.

for you because that’s one less trip to make. The form is Application for a Social Security card. Time to fill that baby out. If you run into any problems while you are filling out the form, there are directions on the website.

You could take all these documents and put them into a large envelope and don’t forget the stamped return envelope to get all those documents back. (I myself do not trust the mail with my important documents), so I put all those important documents into a large envelope and take them to my local social security office and hand them to the person at the window personally.

Every document you provide must be an original or a certified copy from the original agency who issued the document. They will not accept photocopies or notarized photocopies. All of the documents you send them will be returned to you with a receipt.

As soon as all your documents have been verified they will mail out your new card. Your new card will have the same number the old card had.

If you have committed your social security number to memory you may not have to send for a new one. There are very few cases where you need to show your card anymore.